Click here for a .pdf version of my vita.
- Ph.D, English. University of Maryland. 2022.
certificate in Digital Studies
- BA, English; BA, Theater & Dance. Amherst College. 2013.
magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Digital Humanities and Digital Studies. 2022–Present. African American Digital and Experimental Humanities (AADHum) Initiative, University of Maryland (UMD).
- Research Fellow. 2021–2022. AADHum Initiative, UMD.
- Instructor. 2018–2021. UMD Dept. of English.
- Site Manager. 2016–18. Romantic Circles.
- Post-Baccalaureate Resident in Digital Humanities. 2013–16. Five Colleges, Inc.
- “Counting Feeling: Affect Theory and Sentiment Analysis in TextBlob.” Forthcoming. DHQ, Special Issue on Critical Code Studies.
- “Air-conditioning the Internet: Data Center Securitization as Atmospheric Media.” 2021. Media Fields, no. 16: Life Cycles.
- “Grid Techniques for a Planet in Crisis: The Infrastructures of Weather Prediction.” 2020. Amodern, vol. 9: Techniques and Technologies.
Short Articles & Reviews
- “Review of Climatic Media: Transpacific Experiments in Atmospheric Control by Yuriko Furuhata.” Forthcoming. Journal of Environmental Media, 4.1.
- “Review of Lightning Birds: An Aeroecology of the Airwaves by Jacob Smith.” Winter 2021. ISLE, Vol. 28, Issue 4.
- “Collective Tissue.” 2021. Qui Parle, Special Forum: Breath / Inhale : Exhale.
- “Dance Apocalyptic: Tim Maughan’s Infinite Detail and Media after the Internet.” 26 Oct 2019. Los Angeles Review of Books.
- “Weird Ways of Seeing: Patrick Nagatani’s Nuclear Vision.” 2 June 2018. Los Angeles Review of Books.
- “Cutting the Feeling: Affect and Digital Memory in ‘Storm Data and Unusual Weather Phenomena’.” Society for the Social Studies of Science. Toronto/Virtual. 4S 2021, October 2021.
- “Air Under Lockdown: Temperature and Security in the Global Data Center.” Society for Cinema and Media Studies. Virtual. SCMS 2021, March 2021.
- “Time is a Difference of Pressure: Breath as Environmental Media in Ted Chiang’s ‘Exhalation’.” Modern Language Association. Virtual. MLA 2021, January 2021.
- “Felling the .amazon: The Colonial Geographies of Top-Level Domains.” Society for Cinema and Media Studies. Denver. SCMS 2020 (canceled due to novel coronavirus pandemic), April 2020.
- “Air-conditioning the Internet.” Association for the Study of the Arts of the Present. College Park. ASAP/11: Ecologies of the Present, Oct. 2019.
- “Want of Water, Want of Data: The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database and Oceanic Computing.” SIGCIS. St. Louis. Stored in Memory: The 10th Annual SIGCIS Conference, Oct. 2018.
- “Take Only Data, Leave No Footprints: Cybersecurity as Speculative Paranoia.” Modern Language Association. New York City. MLA 2018, Jan. 2018.
- “Decaying Plastic Play: Flappy Bird’s Hacked Afterlife as Media Archaeological Praxis.” Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations. Montréal. Digital Humanities 2017, Aug. 2017.
- “Vapor Ware, or the Odors of 3D Printing.” Rutgers-Camden Archive of Digital Ephemera. Camden. R-CADE 2017 Symposium, April 2017.
- “Roomba in Revolt: Sociability and Securitization in the Internet of Things.” SIGCIS. Mountain View. Command Lines: Software, Power, Performance, March 2017.
- “Undergraduate Digital Humanities, Three Ways.” NERCOMP. Norwood, MA. Emerging Digital Scholars: Undergraduates and Digital Humanities, April 2014.
Roundtables & Panels
- “Reflections on the Post-Post-Baccalaureate.” Five College Blended Learning and Digital Humanities. (virtual). 5CollBLDH End-of-Year Celebration, April 2020.
- “Environmental Justice and the Digital Humanities.” Association for Computers and the Humanities. Pittsburgh. ACH2019, July 2019.
- “Breath Control: 3D Printing and Media Toxicity.” Association for Computers and the Humanities. Pittsburgh. ACH2019, July 2019.
- “Surfaces, Standards, Layers, Stacks: Towards a Platform Textuality.” Society for Textual Scholarship and MITH. College Park. Textual Embodiments, May 2017.
- “The Critical Is: Mapping New Approaches to Video Game Criticism.” Michigan State University. East Lansing. HASTAC 2015: The Art and Science of Digital Humanities, May 2015.
Awards & Grants
- Departmental Summer Fellowship. 2020, 2021.
From the UMD English Department
- Winnemore Digital Humanities Dissertation Fellowship. 2020.
From the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities
- Flagship Fellowship. 2016–2021.
From the University of Maryland
- Association for Computers and the Humanities Conference Travel Subvention. 2019.
- Michael S. Mahoney Travel Award. 2018.
For “SIGCIS: Stored in Memory”
- SIGCIS Conference Travel Subvention. 2017.
For “Command Lines: Software, Power, Performance”
- Jacob K. Goldhaber Travel Award. 2017.
From the University of Maryland
- Association for Computers and the Humanities Microgrant. 2014–15.
For “The_Critical_Is: Mapping New Approaches to Videogame Pedagogy”
- Five College Digital Humanities Project Grant. 2014–15.
For “AIRLab (Aerial Innovation and Robotics Laboratory)”
Courses of Record
- Film Form and Culture 2020, 2021.
- Introduction to Digital Studies 2019.
- Academic Writing 2018, 2019.
- Media Archaeology, Climate Change, and the Digital (Non)humanities. 2016 (January-term course).
- E.LIT / NET.ART. 2015 (January-term course).
- Curating Your Digital Presence McKeldin Research Commons, University of Maryland. 2018.
- The New Rigor: Linking digital scholarship to useful structures of support & evaluation Five College Digital Humanities, Amherst College. 2015.
- Five College Digital Humanities Speaker Series and Student Symposia Five College Digital Humanities, Amherst College. 2014–16.
- “Our Beloved Kin: Remapping a New History of King Philip’s War.” Designer. 2016–19.
- “E.LIT / NET.ART.” Curator & Organizer. 2013–16.
- “The_Critical_Is.” PI with Elizabeth Alexander, Criss Guy, and Kimberly Bain. 2014–15.
- “AIRLab (Aerial Innovation and Robotics Laboratory).” PI with Jon Caris and Eric Poehler. 2014–15.
- “Still Life in Digital: Black Life, Trauma, and Social Media.” Co-author with Marisa Parham. 2015–17.
- “The Space of Mexico City.” Consultant. 2014–15.
Memberships & Service
- Co-founder, Immersive Reality Lab for the Humanities.
- Member, ARHU Environmental Humanities Work Group.
- President, UMD Graduate English Organization. 2018–19.
- Technology Chair, UMD Graduate English Organization. 2017–18.
- PhD Recruitment Committee, UMD English Department. 2017–present.
- Modern Language Association
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies
- Human-Adjacent Languages: French (reading), Spanish (reading).